Monday, December 13, 2004

A Message to the Woman at Panda Express

To: The woman who cut in front of me at the Galleria Mall Panda Express this afternoon
From: One Mother Bear

It was obviously apparent when you approached the line that you enjoy your food. And I'm sure it had been at least two hours since any trans-fats had slid down your gullet, so you were probably dizzy from a low blood sugar. Which might have explained why you tried to cut in front of me and the other holiday shoppers who had been patiently waiting for over 10 minutes for some orange chicken.

Except that you were trying to be so sneaky -- pretending not to hear me when I politely pointed out where the end of the line was. And you succeeded, since the kid behind the counter took your order over the protests of those in line behind you.

I'm sure you gained some sort of satisfaction as you cut in front of a woman who was 20 years younger and 20 IQ points higher than yourself. But how could you ignore the angelic baby in the stroller calling out, "Noodle, Mama? Noodle?"

My son just sighed as you then hemmed and hawed over the choices for your three-item plate. (Because I'm sure this must have been your first time dining at the upstart, Mom and Pop restaurant of Panda Express, with such a confusing array of entree choices.) When my son began to whine and squirm out of hunger, I calmly said, "Christopher, we must be patient and wait until it's our turn."

My 19-month old son nodded and summed up the self-control to wait. Too bad you couldn't have done the same.

No comments: