Friday, February 16, 2007

Childbirth in the 21st Century:

Receiving a letter via Certified Mail informing me that Itty will be born on April 17 at 7:30am. (I'm having a repeat C-section.)

Due to an obstetrician shortage and off the chart malpractice insurance rates, OB's in our state will not attempt VBAC's. Honestly, I have no problem with a repeat C-section. I don't believe for one contraction that a Mother's worth is based on how her child comes into the world. With drugs or without, in an operating room or a bathtub, through your birth canal or another woman's. Being a Mom means enduring a lifetime of heartbreaks every time her baby is hurt or upset - so I'm all for lessening the physical pain associated with delivery!

Which is not to say a c-section isn't painful. For Bitty's birth I had 9 hours of labor at home, 3 hours of labor without drugs at the hospital, followed by 12 more hours of labor (albeit with an epidural) before an emergency c-section was performed due to failure to progress and Bitty's decreasing heart rate. At that point I'd been awake for over 36 hours and was utterly exhausted.

The following morning when the nurse forced me up out of my hospital bed I thought I was being punk'd. Sitting, let alone standing after having a 6-inch incision through my stomach? Dan said he'd never seen anyone is such utter agony. (I now know to ask for more pain meds BEFORE the first dose wears off!)

I told my OB that my goals for this birth were: 1) a healthy baby and 2) to not feel one darn contraction. If I have to deal with the recovery from major abdominal surgery, then I should be spared any of the discomfort of labor!

So my pregnancy ticker now reflects my new 'due' date since my c-section is scheduled for 39 weeks gestation. Mark your calendars!

No comments: