Sunday, February 27, 2005

It's All A Numbers Game

For as long as Bitty Man has been walking down the stairs (with Mommy & Daddy's help of course), he's listened to us count the 15 stairs as we descend. It's part of our daily routine. So we were excited when a few weeks ago, Bitty mastered counting to two -- and if there were more than two items, he would just start over at one and count to two again.

That is, until Thursday night.

Daddy had played the Lena Prima gig at the Sahara and didn't get home until 10:30pm. Bitty Man was, of course, still up. (Hey, the kid has musicians for parents -- he's a night owl.) Daddy was leaving for a jazz festival in CA the next morning, so the three of us were hanging out in the bedroom as Daddy packed. Daddy and I were having a pretty deep discussion when Bitty started counting. I didn't really pay attention until I heard 'three' -- Bitty had never counted to three before. I looked at Daddy with wide eyes and we both got silent.

"Four... five... six... seven... eight... nine... ten... leven... twelve... tirteen... fourteen... fivteen... STAIRS!!!" Bitty declared.

Daddy and I started carrying on like the kid had solved a quadratic equation. I had tears in my eyes. When did my baby become a learned scholar?

No comments: